The Delphic Maritime Training Centre (DMTC) is the in-house Training Centre of the Angelicoussis Shipping Group. It was established in 2002 with the aim of providing training to both ships and shore-based personnel of the group and it was the first in-house certified training centre established by a Greek shipping company.
The establishment and operation of the Delphic Maritime Training Centre is an example of the commitment of the group in investing in its people by providing continuous training.
DELPHIC is approved and certified by DNV in accordance with the DNV Standard for Certification of Maritime Training Centres no 3.402 (2009). The certificate is valid until 10 Dec 2017 and is subject to annual audits.
DELPHIC MTC is also approved by the Maltese Maritime Administration, in accordance with their Guidelines for Approval of Maritime Training Centres SCU/040 (2009) and Approval of Maritime Training Courses SCU/003 (2009).
In addition, the SIGTTO Competency Standard course is approved by DNV according to DNV Standard for Certification No. 3.201 - Learning Programmes (April 2011).
DELPHIC Maritime Training Centre has continued successfully its operation over the last years with increased number of seminars and participants from the 3 management companies of ASGL.
Seminars per Seafarer
The average number of seminars per seafarer per year is monitored in order to achieve a balance between the training requirements and the leave periods of officers. Seminars of similar nature (e.g. technical for engineers) are grouped together to facilitate the participants and in particular those living in areas outside Athens.
Training is supported by state-of-the-art training facilities, which include a full mission bridge simulator, ECDIS simulator, PC based Engine, Cargo and Liquid Cargo Operation simulators.
In 2012 over 750 officers attended the 121 courses offered in the simulators facilities.
The in-house courses are divided in many categories:
- Generic Technical Courses (e.g. surveys and certification, various standards 14001, 18001, 50001, Fire Safety Systems, ECDIS Generic, Incident investigation, Risk Assessment, Environmental issues, MAPROL, PSC and vetting, Tankers Operation etc.)
- Specific Technical Courses (e.g. Bridge and Engine Simulators, STS Transfer, Boilers, Gas Detectors, Use of Chemicals, SIGTTO competence standards, ECDIS type specific, Lifeboats release gear, Ship Safety Officer, In-house SMS familiarisation, Refreshing Courses, Oil Record Book, Bunkers etc.)
- Managerial Courses (e.g. Bridge Team Management, ER Resource Management etc.)
- Interpersonal Skills Courses (e.g. Train the Trainer, Communication and Teamwork, Handling the Media etc. )
- Other Courses (e.g. First aid, Meteorological Charts, IT and Internet onboard, E-NOA, Digital Editions, Anti-piracy etc.)
Advantages of in-house Training
- Is a voluntary and non-profit activity for the group, this shows the management commitment and ensures the high-quality of the training. Long-term results are expected
- It is free to all officers, this encourages the active participation of seafarers and any proposals or feedback are taken into account in the development of the courses
- It is tailor-made to address specific training needs and Company's policy and practices
- It brings closer officers and company office staff, it helps team-building